August 13, 2011

Remodeling Project

Post and beam: a simple construction method, an architectural system, a building method.



It was with some relief and apprehension that the demolition phase of my project began. Drywall was pulled away from the framing, ceilings were pulled down, the “suicide bathtub” has been removed (I’m having flashbacks of The Money Pit movie), along with energy inefficient installation, and asbestos floor tiles. Hooray!
I’m currently focusing my attention on windows and doors, roofing materials, and shingle siding. I’m loving the Marvin line of windows, but for cost savings am leaning towards Andersen or Jeld-Wen. For interior doors, Simpson and Jeld-Wen both make a line of MDF raised panel doors. I’m leaning towards a two paneled, raised molding style, so that I can add a few Dutch doors for fun. With two panels, there is an obvious location for splitting the doors and for the door hardware.

The old solarium has now been removed in preparation for an open deck with gorgeous views of Mt. Tam.


No comments:

Post a Comment